Environmental and Green Initiatives
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Downloads:
- Pest Prevention by Design (6) (Adobe PDF) Authoritative guidelines for designing pests out of structures, including how simple design features can substantially reduce long-term pest control costs in buildings and landscapes, while also cutting the health and environmental impacts of pesticide use. (From San Francisco Department of the Environment)
- Bats in Buildings - Guide to Safe & Humane Exclusions (11) (Adobe PDF) Recommendations for safely removing bats from buildings, including safe handling, preventing access, humane exclusions methods and more. (From Bat Conservation International)
- Bat Exclusion Methods (3) (Adobe PDF) Guidelines and techniques for removing bats from buildings safely while minimizing negative environmental impact. (From University of Nebraska – Lincoln)
- Bat Removal Protocol (3) (Adobe PDF) Quick guide to a safety procedures for removing bats, including protocol for those in contact with a bat. (From Killeen ISD, TX)
- Batty About Bats - Resource and IPM Guide (17) (Adobe PDF) Guide for managing issues with bats, including biology of bats, IPM recommendations, rabies prevention and more. (From The University of Arizona Cooperative Extension)
- Bat Exclusion, Prevention and Control (Web Page) Includes general information on bats, related health risks, handling emergencies, and safe exclusion methods. (From Illinois Department of Public Health)
- Management of Nuisance Birds (47) (Adobe PDF) Presentation outlining nuisance breeds, related issues, and IPM recommendations. (From The IPM Institute)
- Health Hazards Caused By Problem Birds (2) (Adobe PDF) Outlines potential disease transmission risks from birds and solutions for minimizing health hazards.
- Bats - Rare Species Status (3) (Adobe PDF) List of bat species with endangered or threatened status (federal and state).
- Lice Fact Sheet (11) (Adobe PDF) Answers to frequently asked questions about dealing with and eliminating lice. (From EnviroSafe)
- IPM Policy Prohibiting Personal Use/Possession of Chemicals (10) (MS Word) Policy prohibiting the possession, storing or application of any kind of pesticide on school premises by unauthorized personnel. (From Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service)
- Bed Bug Checklist for Residence Halls (53) (Adobe PDF) Guidelines and actions that should be taken to prevent bed bugs, perform inspections, and eliminate infestations. (From University of Florida)
- IPM Coordinator Job Description (34) (Adobe PDF) Oversees and coordinates pest management program, maintains policies, manages pest issues, and coordinates with internal staff and external pesticide applicators. (From Blank ISD, TX)
- IPM Non-Commercial Applicator Job Description (23) (Adobe PDF) Works with IPM Coordinator to oversee daily pest management needs, document inspections and treatments, and work with outside pest control contractors. (From Blank ISD, TX)
- IPM Fiscal Analysis (25) (Adobe PDF) A list of questions to ask when evaluating the annual cost of your pest management program. (From Monroe County Community Schools Corporation, IN)
- Annual Integrated Pest Management Deep Cleaning Guidelines (57) (Adobe PDF) Detailed guidelines for effectively cleaning floors, furniture, restrooms, kitchens and more as part of an IPM program.
- IPM - Head Lice Fact Sheet (40) (Adobe PDF) Learn the facts and FAQs about identifying and eliminating head lice as part of an IPM program. (From EnviroSafe)
- Summer Tips for IAQ and Cleaning (45) (Adobe PDF) Tips to establish and re-evaluate cleaning and maintenance practices throughout facilities during the summer months to ensure excellent indoor air quality. (From the US EPA)
- Impact of IAQ on Student Performance and Health (49) (Adobe PDF) A case for comprehensive IAQ management in schools featuring scientific evidence on how better managing the school environment can improve academic performance. (From the US EPA)
- Policy for Pets and Feral Animals on Campus (28) (Adobe PDF) Policy regarding the allowance of pets and presence of feral animals on campus property. (From University of Tennessee, Knoxville).
- Cost Study - Durable vs. Disposable Cafeteria Trays (29) (Adobe PDF) Compare the costs of different types of trays under various scenarios and get answers to questions about the short and long-term costs of each type of tray. (From Snohomish County, WA)
- Customizable Model - Durable vs. Disposable Cafeteria Trays (26) (Excel) Enter your custom data to calculate and compare the cost of durable and disposable cafeteria trays. (From Snohomish County, WA)
Green, Sustainable and Healthy Facilities Downloads:
- Sustainability Handbook for Schools (51) (Adobe PDF) A road map for implementing a comprehensive range of both operational and academic environmental initiatives in your learning community, including energy, water, waste and more. (From The Academy for Global Citizenship, IL)
- Wellness Policy (20) (Adobe PDF) A model to provide the tools, education and opportunities to achieve a high quality of life and total student wellness of mind, body and spirit. (From The Academy for Global Citizenship, IL)
- Green Ribbon Schools Program - Award Fact Sheet (27) (Adobe PDF) Details on the purpose and goals of the award, as well as how schools can apply.
- Carbon Dioxide Emissions Calculator (24) (MS Excel) Calculator – add your electric and natural gas usage costs to calculate your CO2 Emissions.
US Environmental Protection Agency
This is the main website of the EPA whose mission is to protect human health and safeguard the natural environment (air, water and land) upon which life depends. The EPA works with other federal agencies, state and local governments and Indian tribes to develop and enforce regulations under existing environmental laws.
National Recreation and Park Association
There are an estimated 200,000 playground related injuries reported yearly. NRPA’s Playrground Safety Institute is a must for staff from park and recreation agencies, school districts, child care facilities, health departments, landscape architects, playground manufacturers, installers or contractors, insurance firms, consumers and others responsible for play-equipment areas or playgrounds.